I’ve been to a lot of gyms in my day, so I’ve had to tour the gym many times. This is when the person who works behind the counter takes you around to impress you with how many classes they offer, and how great the showers are. They usually don’t know anything about working out, and are on commission. Clearly. One thing they don’t tell you about is what the gym culture typically entails or even the basic fundamentals of gym etiquette 101. To help them out, I will give you 6 basic rules for behaving at the gym.
Gym Etiquette 101
1) Don’t talk to someone while they are working out. A set takes about a minute and a half, you can wait. Never talk to someone while they are doing cardio. If I can talk while I’m doing cardio, then I am not working hard enough, so bug off.
2) Please wear a shirt. Even if you have a killer body, you don’t want to promote that behavior in people who don’t. And guess what, you probably don’t have a killer body, so shirt up anyway.
3) Don’t spit in the water fountain. That’s just gross.
4) Don’t ask to work in. Signs in gyms might tell you otherwise, but there are specific rest periods during each break that are crucial to a body’s development.
5) If you are new to the gym, please get a personal trainer. I always want to tell people what they are doing wrong in their exercise, so that I can look smart (and maybe help them from hurting themselves), but today someone just about threw a weight in MY face. That’s not acceptable.
6) Don’t talk on your cell phone. That’s tacky.
If you’re working out at a gym should be respectful of others and follow Gym Etiquette 101.